Houston Fiber Fest
June 22-24, 2018
The Berry Center
We will again be partnering with our friends at Wimberley Valley Saori to bring Texas Saori to a show near you!
We will have a booth at this show with Saori looms to try and a great selection of yarns, accessories, and Saori equipment.
Cedarbrake SAORI Weaving Workshop
July 28, 2018
9 am – 5 pm
Cedarbrake Renewal Center
Join Handmade Saori Weaving Studio and Wimberley Valley Saori for this one day Saori workshop at the beautiful Cedarbrake Renewal Center.
Enjoy the free-expression and tranquility of Saori weaving while learning a bit of the history and philosophy of this weaving movement. Take home a unique piece of art.
NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY! Class is suitable for beginners and experienced weavers who want to further explore Saori weaving. For those who are ready to take the next step in their SAORI journey, we are offering a SAORI Sewing discussion and class.
- Workshop fees:
- $125 if you are bringing your SAORI loom
- $145 including SAORI loom rental
Price includes lunch and all materials. Saori loom rental price also includes use of a pre-warped Saori loom. Class fee is payable at time of registration. Space is limited so sign up early!
For questions, please call 256-542-8363.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Participation in any class is optional. You may choose to simply continue weaving or to practice what you have learned in a prior session.
If you need overnight accommodations the night before and/or the night after the event, please contact Cedarbrake directly at 254-780-2436 and let then know you are attending the Saori Weaving Workshop.
Hats, Hats, & More Hats! with Denise Prince
Saturday, September 15, 2018
9 am – 5 pm
Handmade Saori Weaving Studio
Denise (HanDen Studios in Peachtree City, GA) went to Japan in March and learned how to make some simple and totally cute hats! You’ve probably seen some of them on Facebook – you know that Denise, always posting photos!
Well, we are so excited to announce that she’s coming to Texas to teach HATS here at Handmade SAORI!
In this workshop you will learn:
- How to make 3 styles of hats
- How to modify those hats to fit any head
- How to work with the cloth you have
You will go home with:
- Tagboard patterns for each of the hats in your size
- Denise will provide handouts, tagboard, and a lot of laughs.
You need to bring:
- Cloth! The crazier the better.
- Hat #1 needs a minimum width of 20 cm and a minimum length of approximately 130 cm. HOWEVER if your cloth is 30-33 cm wide you only need approximately 70 cm in length! This hat LOVES crazy selvages and fringe! It works well with both fairly light weight (drapey) to medium weight cloth.
- Hat #2: (At HanDen we are calling this hat the French Artist Hat) Needs cloth that is a minimum 38cm wide by approx. 110 cm long. This hat LOVES drapey cloth. And there is NOTHING requiring ALL the pieces of this hat to be cut from the SAME cloth!
- Hat #3: A fun take on a French Beret. This hat like to be made from just about any weight of cloth, depending on how you like your beret. You will need cloth a minimum of 41 cm wide x 105 cm long.
- NOTE: A word about cloth sizes. These hats are fun and easy. Do NOT stress about having the “right” sizes of cloth. In Most cases Narrow cloth can be sewn together to make it wide enough for the desired hat. Also, It is always better to bring MORE cloth than you think you will need for the workshop.
- A sewing machine (if you are flying in, we have a few machines available for use)
- Straight pins
- Sewing clips
- Your machine’s manual
- Fabric Scissors
- A walking foot is helpful if you have one
- We will take a short lunch break mid-day and order from the local pizza/sandwich shop or you may bring your own lunch (refrigerator space and microwave available)